No surprise

Brooklyn Currents | 1/05/2014 | 0 comments

Brooklyn Currents editorial


If it had been any other newspaper, it would have been shocking and surprising.

But since it was the New York Post, it was hardly surprising at all (although no less shocking).

The introductory headline was bad enough:" Slain slumlord found in trash has enemies list a mile long"  (A few of Menachem Stark's tenants had described him that way, so of course that was a statement of fact in the Post's mindset)

But the clincher was the cover headline: Who DIDN'T want him dead?
 
Obviously, there were many who didn't – his wife, his eight children, his business partner, the multitude who attended his funeral in Williamsburg... – but the Post had no interest in that.

Not surprising, since the Post is owned by none other than Rupert Murdoch, the same man whom the British parliament described as “unfit to run a newspaper chain” after several of his editors and reporters had tapped private phone lines and committed other illegal acts for the sake of Murdoch's warped concept of journalism.

Stark (second from left) may have known he was in danger, a family friend said. 'He told his wife he felt someone was watching him. It made him nervous,' the pal said. 'He had partnerships with so many different people, not all the buildings belonged to him.'
Stark (second from left) may have known he was in danger, a family friend said. 'He told his wife he felt someone was watching him. It made him nervous,' the friend said. 'He had partnerships with so many different people, not all the buildings belonged to him.' 

We were glad to see that newly elected Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams joined Jewish community leaders and local elected officials to condemn what he aptly called the Post's “hateful coverage of the murder of Menachem “Max” Stark, a 39-year-old father of eight children from the Chasidic community of Williamsburg.”

Scheduled to attend the Sunday afternoon , Jan. 5 rally on the steps of Borough Hall included Public Advocate Letitia James, State Assembly member Dov Hikind, Council members Laurie Cumbo, David Greenfield and Steve Levin, Rabbi Yeruchim Silber of the Boro Park Jewish Community Council, Rabbi Yechezkel Pikus of the Council of Jewish Organizations of Flatbush, Shea Rubinstein of the JCC of Marine Park, Rabbi Moshe Indig of the JCC of Williamsburg, Rabbi David Niederman of the United Jewish Organizations of Williamsburg, and Rabbi Chanina Sperlin of the Crown Heights JCC, announcing a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the murder of Mr. Stark, whose smoldering body was found in a dumpster in Long Island, following his abduction Thursday night outside his real estate office in Brooklyn.
 
“I’m sickened by the Post condoning the murder and kidnapping of a Chasidic businessman, " Hikind said. “I don’t subscribe. If I did, I would cancel the subscription.”

Adams said:
For the New York Post to suggest that a person deserved to be murdered is sickening and reaches a new low. The New York Post should pull their story and issue an apology to the family and community that are still in mourning.
On social media, more than 4,000 tweets slammed the paper using the hashtag #StopNYPostHate. Many called on subscribers to cancel their subscription.


Since it's quite unlikely the Post will cover the rally, it's at least one story the yellow tabloid won't distort.

================================
UPDATE (Jan. 19)

Investigators are persuing indications that the abductors were people to whom Stark owed money, and that they wanted to scare him into paying up by sitting on him, accidentally causing him to suffocate. They then tried to dispose of the body. If this was the case, they clearly didn't want him dead.

Category:

Article by

Follow Brooklyn Currents on Facebook and Twitter
Brooklyn on the Web.

0 comments